Friday, November 12, 2010

Fuck Kansas

That's right. Fuck it. I don't know what I ever did to piss it off, but it sure has it out for me.

I woke up this morning at 7AM to get to the airport, so I didn't get much sleep last night. By the time I drifted off, we were somewhere over the middle of the country. I slept for roughly half an hour until I was shaken awake by some pretty good turbulence. I took a look at the flight map on the screen in front of me and lo and behold, we'd just passed from Missouri into Kansas.

It wasn't all bad though. At one point during the turbulence, the plane did that thing where it dropped suddenly and an Asian lady sitting a few rows behind me let out a shriek. I giggled. Was it worth the turbulence? Sure. But I was still mad at Kansas for waking me up.

This wasn't the first time that Kansas has had it out for me. About six years ago, I did the whole cross-country road trip thing. As I wrote in my trip journal back in 2004:
Kansas sucks. It's a boring drive through a terrible state, made worse by the fact that our stereo was broken (a 9-hour driving day with no radio would kind of suck anyway, I guess), and that it was raining and that our car's roof leaked. We thought that maybe it was just a bad all-around day, but the worthlessness of Kansas was cemented when, as soon as we crossed the border into Colorado, the skies cleared up and it became a great day. And later that night we had amazing buffalo burgers. So it wasn't the day, it was Kansas. 
Plus, I've only ever met one person who was from Kansas. She was on a hiking trip I took after my 10th grade year. She sucked. And it wasn't just me who didn't like her -- we all hated her, mostly because she was bossy and obnoxious.

But on the bright side, the last time we ever talked was after Syracuse beat Kansas in the 2003 NCAA Final. I saw that she was online -- before this, we'd talked maybe once, briefly, in the two or so years since the hiking trip ended -- and I said something along the lines of: "HAHAHA KANSAS LOST GO SUCK A DICK"

She blocked me. We haven't talked since.

I'm going to go get some dinner. Fuck Kansas.

No comments:

Post a Comment