Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The SportsCenter LeBron Lovefest

As someone who enjoys SportsCenter's daily Top Ten, I particularly dislike the NBA for what it does to the top plays. Unfortunately for me and everyone else who's not a Heat fan, the Top Ten from October all the way until May/June is dominated by one person -- and most of the time he's on there for plays that are good, yet unspectacular. I can't be the only one annoyed by Lebron James' takeover of the Top Ten, can I?

So this year I'm trying something different. When I can, I'm going to track LeBron's Top Ten overexposure. Using a 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 scoring system, where he gets 10 points for being top play #1, and 1 point for being #10, we're going to track this. Let's start with last night:

Not surprisingly, LeBron had two top plays:

His first one came in at #5, and was a block against the backboard. Nice play, but not spectacular. Had it been anyone else making the block, would it have been in the Top 10? Possibly if it was Nate Robinson, but that's about it. Six very undeserving points.

And of course, he had the top play. Was it something jaw-droppingly amazing? No. It was a breakaway where he dunked it really hard. Does this get on the Top 10 if it's not LeBron? Maybe it sneaks in at #8 or #9 on a slow night. But it definitely wasn't #1-worthy.

So that's sixteen points on night one. Stay tuned. And help me stay tuned -- there will be nights when I'm not able to watch SportsCenter, or more likely, nights when I simply forget. So if you loyal readers could keep an eye out for this for me, I would be appreciative. Smart money has this system dying out by mid-November. But wouldn't it be fun if we could keep it going for a while?

Finally, I know all of you are probably as shocked as I am that I'm writing about the NBA. But this continual desecration of the Top Ten will not stand. This has nothing to do with any sort of animosity towards LeBron for crapping all over Cleveland or anything -- this has to do with the sanctity of a SportsCenter institution whose integrity is compromised because of one person. Help do your part.

No comments:

Post a Comment