Monday, May 10, 2010

Decisions, Decisions

Well, I got a job offer.

After six months of couchwarming, I now find myself with the opportunity to earn a paycheck and retire from the exclusive 9.9% (yes, 0.2% of the population decided to join the unemployment party last month). The job would start towards the end of this week and they want me to let them know yay or nay by Wednesday. The problem is that I am deficient in two pertinent issues here: decision-making and employment. So this is where you come in. 

I'll list the nitty-gritty about the job and you let me know if I should take it. If you present a thoughtful argument, I promise to consider your opinion and there's even a good chance I will directly heed your advice. So if you care at all about my career, this blog or the future of mankind, you'll help me out. God knows I need all the help I can get.

What is the job?
Fundraising for a candidate running for New York Attorney General.

What does it pay?
Not too much but more than I'm making now. By default.

Are the people at the job cool?
It seems so. They certainly didn't seem like the type to make fun of small penises.

Is this a permanent job?
No, the primary is in September so it would end then if he doesn't win and would end in November if he does.

Whoa, so basically it's like going back to summer camp?
Timeframe-wise, yes. Fun-wise and responsibility-wise, no. And no more mentions of camp. It just makes me depressed. 

So what happens when the job ends in September?
Good question. Hopefully, the job would allow me to network so that I could move seamlessly to another job then. But more likely, I'll spend September watching a lot of TV and blogging.

Speaking of blogging, what would happen to Couchwarmers?
One of two things: If I have the time, I'd post from work. Considering that this job only lasts until September, I'd still consider myself semi-employed (one foot in the door and the other on a banana peel, or something like that). If I didn't have the time, I'd sell my share of Couchwarmers stock to our friend Peter and then stay on as a minority contributor. Either way, assuming I take the job, expect to see more of Peter on this website. He's just as qualified as Sam and me are to speak for the 9.9%, so don't you worry.

So there you have it. If you have a kneejerk reaction, post it. If you want to sit on it and let this bombshell marinate, you have until Wednesday. After that, my fate will be sealed. Thanks in advance for your input.

4 comments:

  1. Take the job...join the club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be funny if your employers read this post and revoked their offer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well if its gonna make you miss camp, doesnt pay well, and its with only ok people i say nay
    also being in a smaller club is always cooler

    ReplyDelete
  4. One sentence into this, I knew that it was a Daniel post.

    ReplyDelete