Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Fun with Facebook

Recently, there have been a lot of concerns over the privacy, or lack thereof, of people's personal information on Facebook. People are worried that information they post on Facebook, even though they mean it to be private, will be shared with the world. To this I say: well....yeah. I'm not posting anything I don't want to get out there. In fact, the majority of the time, I'm just using it to post Couchwarmers updates.

I avoided signing up for Facebook for over a year after other people at my school started joining for just this reason. In all fairness, I was kind of kidding at the time when I said, "They're just gonna use this to track all of us. I'm staying off the grid." Now, I guess there's much more truth to that than I originally believed. But if random people are reading my shameless plugs, I could really give a crap.

Which brings me to the point of this post. No, I'm not here to give warnings about sharing personal info or talk about how evil Facebook is. I'm here to show you how you can benefit from other people not knowing how to set their privacy controls. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: OpenBook.

Yes, a way to see the status updates of complete strangers. Want to see who's recently talked about a vaginal rash? Just search for it. Want more ideas for good searches? Here you go! Remember though, with great power comes great responsibilty. Unless of course, they haven't set their privacy controls. Then it's all fair game. Go nuts.

2 comments:

  1. What you're describing is technology that Twitter has had for years. Get with it, Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but here's my counter-argument: Twitter is fucking pointless.

    Also, all of us are happy to see you're still alive. I know we had a few concerned readers.

    ReplyDelete